Insurance for Recreational Vehicles

Taking the RV out for a long road trip is a classic summer vacation. Yet, many fail to realize that even when you’re renting, you need to have some level of insurance for your RV.
Due to the size, degree of damage and the potential of having an inexperienced driver behind the wheel, standard car insurance is often too low. As a result, if you own an RV, it’s recommended you add a rider to your existing policy or take out specialty coverage.
Through Your Auto Insurance Carrier
Car companies often have their own policies for RVs and motor homes. For coverage, your insurer may either issue a certificate of insurance that applies specifically to this vehicle, increase rental car coverage’s damage limit or write you a new specialty policy.
In all cases, be aware that RV insurance should essentially combine aspects of your auto policy for damage to the exterior and homeowners’ insurance for its interior contents.
To determine a quote, your carrier takes the vehicle’s size, type and year into account, then factors in where you live, how much you drive it, your existing driving record, your age and gender.
Your RV insurance will typically amount to $17 to $28 per day, for the times you’re on the road, and comes with a $1,000 to $5,000 deductible.
What’s Covered
When combining aspects of auto and homeowners’ insurance, your policy should include coverage for damage and loss from:

  • Fire
  • Smoke
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Certain natural disasters, like hail, windstorms and landslides
  • Collisions

Further, make sure all interior appliances and exterior fixtures can be repaired and replaced. If you regularly travel far distances, make sure your policy includes towing coverage as well.
Planning to take a road trip this summer in an RV and are thinking about coverage now? Explore your options, including both riders and separate policies, with Ion Insurance. To learn more, give us a call today at 203.439.2815.